Joining us this week is Lee Atchison, Sr. Director of Strategic Architecture, New Relic. Author of Architecting for Scale on O’Reilly (link is not a tracked URL) and recent speaker at AWS ReInvent ’19 – Cloud Computing in an Edge World.
About New Relic
New Relic gives you deep performance analytics for every part of your software environment. You can easily view and analyze massive amounts of data, and gain actionable insights in real-time. For your apps. For your users. For your business.
- Impact of Edge on DevOps (People / Process / Tools)
- No DevOps Shortcuts for Edge
- Scaling Issues b/w Cloud and Edge
- Application Updates at the Edge
- Environment Awareness
- 0 min 43 sec: Introduction of Guest
- 3 min 30 sec: Keys to Edge Computing
- People are afraid of Edge
- Edge is not new; already in the marketplace
- 5 min 49 sec: Who is afraid?
- Application Management Layer
- DevOps Operation Teams / Edge Changes DevOps
- 8 min 43 sec: Automation is Key for Edge
- Cheating of process won’t cut it for the Edge
- Source of fear is knowing that scale for Edge is massive
- 11 min 14 sec: New Technologies but Similar Processes
- Idea of Scaling (Cloud is Vertical) (Edge is Horizontal)
- Edge has restricted resources unless cloud which is elastic
- Think of Edge examples like single page browser app
- 20 min 51 sec: Application Updates at the Edge
- Challenges for App Monitoring
- 28 min 18 sec: Edge Apps can’t Abstract too Much
- Data Collection is key and need Direct Access
- Must be Aware of the Environment
- 31 min 25 sec: Wrap-Up
Lee Atchison, Sr. Director of Strategic Architecture, New Relic
Lee is Senior Director of Strategic Architecture at New Relic, where his job is to understand and drive the industry in the areas of cloud architecture, microservices, scalability, and availability. He is the author of the O’Reilly book Architecting for Scale and author of the blog Lee@Scale. Lee has 28 years of industry experience and over a decade of building high-scale Web applications, having worked for seven years at Amazon and four at New Relic.